Thursday, October 23, 2008

I've Got A Fever...Of the Skating Variety...


...And the only prescription is champion figure skaters coupled with a dose of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees, Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons!

Kristi, the other half of this skating insider dynamic duo, will be blogging, twittering, texting, phoning, emailing and more from this fantastic skating event. So stay tuned.

As I sit at my kitchen table (my make-shift home office) in four layers of shirts and sweats, a ski hat and gloves, typing away in the early morning light of yet another beautiful Colorado fall day; I watch as the sun slowly rises from the East, gently kissing the earth, blanketed in the slightest layer of frost, creating a mysterious vapor effect that dissipates like a cloudy dream. As the vapor rises in unison with the condensation leaving my breath I realize two things: I really need to invest in a heater of some sort, and the 2009 skating season is upon us!

As I giddily shriek this last statement, jumping out of my seat and voraciously clapping my hands, my dog Cody lifts his head with great effort and grunts a long sigh of annoyance at my childish display that has disturbed his third nap of the morning.

Just to be clear about the above outburst, I'm generally a “dude’s, dude” as they say. I like to drink beer and confabulate about the fairer sex and sports…Granted I’m a fair-weather fan that only watched last year’s World Series because my home team, The Colorado Rockies, were in it for the first time, and hearing east coast commentators scramble to have info on Colorado was hilarious… “Well John, I didn’t even know Colorado had a baseball team until today and I believe this quaint little state just transitioned from horse-drawn carriages to motorized vehicles in the past month…” OK that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but you get my point.

I’m not huge into sports but skating is definitely doing it for me. There I said it…I love figure skating! I'm learning, through research and meeting these amazing athletes, all there is to soak up about the sport. I can rattle of names and titles like no other and it’s particularly hilarious to throw in skating ice-breakers during football gatherings at my home that go something like this: “So fellas, who’s pumped for the World Skating Championship in LA this March..." (awkward pause) "...I mean this is the best of the best in the competitive figure skating world! I hope Lysacek nails a quadruple axle for the US…high five? Anyone?”

I could care less that my friends don't get figure skating. I'm pumped that things are kicking off in full swing for this amazing sport.

Here's the layout of some of the major skating events so you can mark your calendars accordingly:

Saturday, October 25, 2008: Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons Tribute on Ice
This spectacular Disson show is at the Sears Center in Hoffman Estates, Illinois. Tickets are still available and range from $42 to $162 seats on the ice. The skating cast includes Olympic Gold Medalist Brian Boitano, 3-time US National Champion Michael Weiss, World Champion Yuka Sato and much more. Get your tickets at the Sears Center Box Office or at www.searscentre.com
or by calling 1-888-SEARSTIX. See all the upcoming Disson shows at www.dissonskating.com


Thursday October 24- Sunday October 26, 2008: 2008 Skate America
This weekend long show at the Comcast Arena in Everett, Washington, is the first of six events in this year's Grand Prix Series and will showcase the talent of 60 top skaters from 15 countries.
For more information go to: www.2008skateamerica.com

March 23-29, 2009: 2009 World Championships
This event, to be held at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California is a qualifier for the 2010 Winter Olympics. L.A. beat out bids from Budapest, Hungary, and Helsinki, Finland to host the event. For more information go to: www.usfsa.org

January 14-24, 2010: US Figure Skating Championships
Spokane, Washington will host this electric night of skating performances just 18 days before the Winter Olympic Games. For more information got to: www.spokane2010.com

February 12-28, 2010 & March 12-21, 2010: 2010 Winter Olympic Games
Vancouver, Canada is hosting the 2010 Winter Olympic Games. Only 16 months (466 days to be exact) remain until the world comes together once more to witness the greatest display of skill, strength, teamwork from top athletes from around the globe. For more information go to: www.vancouver2010.com

Tis the season to skate!







No comments: